Considered one of the cleanest lakes in Iowa, Lake MacBride was recently under a no swim advisory with DNR officials citing high levels of toxins from an algale bloom, and E. coli. These pollutants in public swimming areas has led to health warnings and the closing of some public swimming areas in lakes around the state.
On this edition of River to River, host Ben Kieffer is joined by reporter Erin Jordan of the Cedar Rapids Gazette to talk about her coverage of water quality issues in recreational streams and lakes.
We also analyze how the legalization of marijuana in Illinois could affect Iowa and our Home State View series continues with a look at Bill de Blassio with Brigid Bergin, City Hall and Politics Reporter at WNYC .
The program finishes with a look at the shortage of child psychiatrists in Iowa and Tony Dehner of IPR's Studio One previews the lineup for the IPR stage at this year's 80/35 music festival.
- Erin Jordan; Cedar Rapids Gazette Reporter
- Daisy Contreras; State House Reporter, NPR Illinois
- Tony Leys; Health Reporter at the Des Moines Register
- Brigid Bergin; City Hall and Politics Reporter for WNYC
- Natalie Krebs; IPR Health Reporter
- Tony Dehner; Host of IPR's Studio One Tracks