The B-Side -- Musings On The Iowa Music Scene
Des Moines Performing Arts Temple for Performing Arts 2023-24 season is starting soon!
Even though cannabis is recreationally illegal in Iowa, products giving just as potent a high are being sold for recreational use in the state. How is that possible?
PorchFest, a free event in Union Park, and the inaugural Together Through Sound festival at Riverview Park are both free live music events not to miss this weekend.
Founding member of the Wu-Tang Clan, Gary Eldridge Grice, AKA GZA, brought da ruckus to Iowa City, performing selections from his 1995 solo debut ‘Liquid Swords.' Backed by the Phunky Nomads, The Genius sliced through his iconic album plus “C.R.E.A.M.” and ODB’s “Shimmy Shimmy Ya.”
The series from Iowa City’s Englert Theatre will feature six alternative acts over the course of this fall, including Bobby McFerrin’s daughter Madison McFerrin and the duo Tennis.
IVs for hydration have arrived at Iowa music festivals, but doctors say they don't replace drinking waterIV infusions for hydration and vitamins are popping up at music festivals around the country. IPR spoke with bass player Caleb Buchanan at the Hinterland Music Festival while he got his first infusion.
IPR's Artists of the Month for August, Greg Wheeler and The Poly Mall Cops, spent three years getting their record just right. Now that it's out in the world, they're ready to do it again.
- Terry Kirkman, founding member of The Association, dies at 83
- Laurel Halo's 'Atlas' describes the feeling of being everywhere and nowhere
- Usher will soon have Super Bowl halftime validation. But can he top Rihanna?
- 21 Days of Musica Latina: Haiti
- Public Radio's Favorite New Musicians Of 2023
- Celebrating jazz great Sam Rivers, on what would have been his 100th birthday
- American cellist hunts for Gaspar Cassadó's nearly lost treasures
- Gaspar Cassadó died in 1966, but the mystery around his missing music endures