Red wave hit big in Iowa, breaking from national trends
Iowa Public Radio and The Gazette in Cedar Rapids grab a post-election pint and unpack midterm results.
Ben Kieffer co-hosts this Pints and Politics edition of River to River in front of a live audience with The Gazette's investigative reporter Erin Jordan. Panelists, Gazette journalists and guest panelist Cornell College professor Megan Goldberg, commented on the GOP’s success in the state.
Republicans will make up all of Iowa’s federal congressional delegation and will hold a supermajority in the Iowa Senate. This election cycle Iowa saw little support from the Democratic national party, and panelists expect Iowa to lose the Democratic caucus.
Across the country, however, Republicans didn’t see the Election Night success they expected.
- Erin Jordan, investigative reporter, The Gazette
- Megan Goldberg, Assistant Professor of American Politics, Cornell College
- Todd Dorman, columnist, The Gazette
- Althea Cole, columnist, The Gazette
- Tom Barton, Des Moines deputy bureau, The Gazette