Tiny Desk Playlist: Celebrating Women Across The Globe
International Women's Day celebrates the success and achievements of women. Under the weight of patriarchy, women remain endlessly resilient and fabulously talented; naturally, we wanted to toast all the female musicians who brought us together for comfort, triumph and liberation at the Tiny Desk. It was a challenge selecting five from the archives, but all these performances highlight the power of dynamic women and community connectivity. Chloe x Halle put it best: "Do it for the girls all across the world."
• Wu Man holds history in her hands. Master of the pipa — an ancient four-stringed instrument — the Chinese composer oscillates between intense, grandiose playing and delicate silk-like sounds. Wu Man's music commands full attention; every note should be savored and admired.
• Lous and The Yakuza, born Marie-Pierra Kakoma, is a natural-born performer. Her raspy, full voice is refined and arresting; I get chills every time I watch her Tiny Desk (home) concert, especially during "Dilemme," a song likely inspired by her experience escaping war in the Congo and living as a refugee in Belgium.
• Chloe x Halle — Grammy-winning R&B duo composed of self-taught musician sisters is the definition of (excuse the cliché) girl power. With their nine-piece all-female band supporting five intimate, story-rich tracks, Chloe x Halle showcase the intentionality of centering female empowerment in their art.
• Daymé Arocena's vitality is palpable throughout her three-song set. With a million-dollar smile, the Afro-Cuban jazz singer generously shares her warm energy as she tells stories of her life, sends prayers to Yemayá and Ochún, and scats love songs.
• Mitski's approach to art is unhinged and feral, which is exactly why I love her and this set. Vulnerability, whether through a rage-fueled desire for vengeance or an existential need for beautiful expeditions, is embraced front and center as the Japanese-American singer-songwriter screams into her guitar. —LaTesha Harris, production assistant forLouder Than A Riotand NPR Music contributor.
Tiny Desks In This Playlist
• Wu Man
• Lous and The Yakuza
• Chloe x Halle
• Daymé Arocena
Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.