Thank you for visiting and interacting with Iowa Public Radio’s digital content! Iowa Public Radio, Inc. (“IPR”) maintains this site for your personal information, education, and entertainment, so please feel free to browse.
You may download material displayed on the IPR Services for non-commercial, personal use only, provided that 1.) You make no modification to the materials or content and retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained on the materials. 2.) You do not use the content in a manner that suggests IPR promotes or endorses your, or any third party’s, causes, ideas, products, sites, applications, platforms or services, and 3.) You do not use the content in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any other person or entity.
Images: Images of people or places displayed on the Services are either the property of, or used with permission by, IPR. The use of these images by you, or anyone else authorized by you, is prohibited, except only to the extent that specific permission is provided elsewhere on the Services. Any unauthorized use of the images may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity, and communications regulations and statues.
Trademarks: All trademarks, service marks or trade names of Iowa Public Radio used in the Services are registered or unregistered trademarks of IPR, or are used with permission by IPR, and may not be used without IPR’s prior written permission.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) Notices & Copyright Agent: Iowa Public Radio respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement by any content or material on IPR’s website, please provide the following information in writing to IPR’s Copyright Agent (see 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works on our site;
- A description of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- Information so that we can contact you, such as address, telephone number and e-mail address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of a copyright that is allegedly infringed.
Counter-Notice: If you believe that any content or materials you posted, uploaded or submitted to Iowa Public Radio, that was/were subsequently removed from IPR’s website, or to which access was disabled, was/were improperly removed or disabled, please provide the following Counter-Notice to IPR’s Copyright Agent (see 17 U.S.C. § 512(g) for further detail):
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- A description of the materials that have been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled;
- A statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled; and
- Your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal court for the judicial district in which your address is located, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
If a counter-notice is received by IPR’s Copyright Agent, we may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that we may re-post the removed copyrighted work in 10 business days. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against us, the removed content may be re-posted in 10 to 14 business days or more after receipt of the counter-notice at our sole discretion.
Iowa Public Radio’s Copyright Agent can be reached as follows:
Matt Sieren, Copyright Agent
Iowa Public Radio
2111 Grand Avenue, Suite 100
Des Moines, IA 50312
Only DMCA notices should be sent to the Copyright Agent.
Links to the IPR Services:
Iowa Public Radio is an organization committed to the highest journalistic ethics and standards and to independent, noncommercial journalism, both in fact and in appearance. Therefore, although IPR encourages and permits links to content on the IPR Services, the linking should not suggest that IPR promotes or endorses any third party’s causes, ideas, sites, products or services, or use IPR content for inappropriate commercial purposes or in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any other person or entity. We reserve the right to withdraw permission for any link.
Links to Third Party Sites:
Iowa Public Radio has not reviewed all of the sites linked to the Services and is not responsible for the content of any off-Services pages or any other sites linked to the Services. When you click on a link to a third party site, IPR will not warn you that you have left the Services. Your viewing of any other off-Services pages or other sites is at your own risk and IPR shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, products or services available on or through such sites, applications, platforms and services.
Iowa Public Radio provides podcasts consisting of audio content that is provided using an RSS feed and associated file so that the file may be downloaded and played from a user’s computer or mobile device. Podcasts are available only for personal, non-commercial use. You may download, copy and/or transfer a podcast to a computer or mobile device only for your personal, non-commercial use, provided that you do not modify the content.
IPR Services - High Data Usage Warning and Motor Vehicle Usage:
Iowa Public Radio does not charge you for the use of its Services. Please check your wireless plan, however, because carrier data use charges or other fees may apply. You acknowledge that streaming media can result in high data usage and may lead to excess data charges. You must provide, at your own expense, the equipment and connections needed for you to use the IPR Services, and you agree that you are solely responsible for any costs you incur to access the IPR Services, including any excess data charges. You should keep in mind that the use of the IPR Services to send content to another person may result in wireless charges to both the sender and the receiver. You agree to obey all laws related to the operation of motor vehicles during use of the IPR Services.
You agree that your submission of any ideas, suggestions, documents, and/or proposals to IPR (“Feedback”) is at your own risk and that IPR has no obligations with respect to such Feedback. You represent and warrant that you have all rights necessary to submit the Feedback. You hereby grant to IPR the right to use any Feedback in any way at any time without any approval or compensation, and you hereby waive any right that you may have to any such compensation.
Users of the IPR Services may post, upload, transmit and otherwise submit (collectively “Submit”) comments, messages, recommendations, photos, images, story ideas, essays and other content and materials (“User Materials”) on or through the social networking features, forums, discussions, Contact Us page, and other current or future features of the Services. You acknowledge that User Materials may be routed through our servers, the servers of one or more third parties, and the Internet, and may be viewed by IPR staff and on the IPR Services by the general public.
We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit User Materials at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so. If we have questions about your User Materials, we have the right, but not the duty, to contact you for further information.
You retain the copyright and other ownership rights in any User Materials that you Submit on or through the IPR Services. However, by Submitting User Materials on or through the IPR Services, you grant IPR or/and other Content Providers and their respective licensees a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, transferable, sub-licensable through multiple tiers of sub-licensees, assignable license to use, copy, sublicense, modify, transmit, publicly perform, display, create derivative works of, host, index, cache, tag, encode, and/or adapt your User Materials in any and all media formats, channels or platforms, whether now known or hereafter devised, which includes User Materials Submitted on any of the IPR Services. You will not receive any compensation of any kind for the use of any User Materials that you Submit and you hereby waive any right to any compensation you may otherwise have.
When posting or submitting material to the IPR Services, be certain your posting does not compromise your personal safety. You acknowledge that whenever you give out personal information online, that information can be collected and used by people you do not know. IPR cannot guarantee the security of any information you disclose online using the IPR Services; you make such disclosures at your own risk.
Rules For Use Of IPR Services:
By using IPR Services, including by registering for any Services, participating in IPR social networking features, forums and discussions, submitting User Materials through the Services, the Contact Us page or other means, using Content Feeds, podcasts, or any other features of the Services, you agree to the following rules:
- You must be at least 18 years of age to submit any User Materials or personally-identifying information on or through the IPR Services, participate in any contests, or place an order in the IPR Shop. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you may browse the IPR Services or register for email newsletters or other features of the Services with the consent of your parent or guardian, so long as you do not submit any User Materials. If you are under 13 years of age, or if you are an EU resident under 16 years of age, please do not send any information about yourself, including your name, address or email address. If we discover that we have collected any personally-identifying information from a child under 13, or from an EU resident under 16, we will remove that information from our database as soon as possible.
- You may not submit any User Materials under a false name or a false email address. You may not impersonate another user or provide any false information about yourself.
- You may not submit any User Materials or links to material that are libelous, defamatory, false, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, threatening, harassing, discriminatory, in violation of the law, harmful to children, in violation of third-party privacy rights, or that constitutes hate speech or a personal attack.
- The IPR Services can only be used for personal, non-commercial purposes. You may not submit any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising, promotion, solicitation for goods and services, or recruiting. You may not use the IPR Services for political campaigning, recruiting votes, or soliciting support for legislative or other initiatives.
- You may not submit any software or other material which contains any virus, trap door, back door, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful computer code, files, scripts, agents, programs, adware, device or other features that may access, alter, delete, damage or disable any hardware, software, information or other property of IPR or users of the Services. You may not use the Services to distribute chain letters, mass mailings, “spam,” or duplicative or unsolicited messages in violation of applicable laws.
- You may not interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the IPR Services, any portion or contents thereof, or related systems or networks, or use the Services in any way that degrades their reliability, speed or operation, or their underlying hardware or software. In addition, you may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Services or related systems or networks.
Rules for participating in social media or discussion platform conversations:
- If you can’t be polite, don’t say it. Of course, we don’t want to stifle discussion of controversial issues. Some topics require blunt talk, and we’re not always going to agree with each other. Nonetheless, please disagree without being disagreeable. Focus your remarks on positions, not personalities. No personal attacks, name calling, libel, defamation, or hate speech. And under no circumstances should you post anything that could be taken as threatening, harassing, bullying, obscene, pornographic, sexist or racist.
- Don’t use obscenities–even if the word in question is often used in conversation. You are participating in a public forum and we want everyone to feel comfortable participating.
- Anything you post should be your own work. You’re welcome to link to relevant content and to quote limited amounts from other people’s work with attribution and any associated copyright notice and consistent with “fair use” principles of copyright law. But that doesn’t mean you can copy and paste wholesale.
- Please stay on topic. Think of it this way–if you hosted a book club meeting at your home, you wouldn’t want someone to show up and insist on discussing reality TV shows.
- Keep your comments to 400 words or less. Generally, anything beyond a few paragraphs had better be very, very interesting to the larger community. We reserve the right to edit for brevity, clarity and other purposes.
- Please respect people’s privacy. We love to learn about new and interesting individuals, but most people will not be happy to have their contact information published, particularly by someone who is not them. Please do not share another’s contact information through discussion threads or social networking features.
- Feel free to share your ideas and experiences about religion, politics, and relevant products or services you’ve discovered. But this is not a place for advertising, promotion, recruiting, campaigning, lobbying, soliciting, or proselytizing. We understand that there can be a fine line between discussing and campaigning; please use your best judgment–and we will use ours.
- We appreciate the news tips members of the public send us. However, Iowa Public Radio does not promote or permit the publicizing of rumors, allegations, conspiracy theories and other information which we know to be false or unsubstantiated. Be yourself – and not someone else.
- Please don’t use public forums for individual communications. Similarly, if you have comments about Iowa Public Radio coverage or policies generally, please don’t use the site discussion threads to air them. For issues regarding editorial content or policies, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Representations and Indemnity:
You agree that you will indemnify and hold harmless IPR and its respective directors, officers, employees, members, and licensees (the “IPR Parties”) from any and all claims, liabilities, costs or expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising from 1.) Your breach of any of the above representations and warranties, 2.) Your use of the Services, 3.) The User Materials you have Submitted on or through the Services, 4.) IPR’s publication, distribution or use of such User Materials or 5.) Your violation of any applicable laws, rules, or regulations. IPR reserves the right, at its own cost, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will fully cooperate with IPR in asserting any available defenses. This provision does not require you to indemnify any of the IPR Parties for any unconscionable commercial practice by the IPR Parties or for the IPR Parties’ gross negligence, fraud, deception, false promise, misrepresentation or concealment, suppression or omission of any material fact. You agree that the provisions in this Section will survive any termination of this Agreement or your access to the Services.
THE IPR SERVICES AND ANY CONTENT, MATERIALS, USER MATERIALS, FEATURES OR PRODUCTS AVAILABLE OR SOLD ON OR THROUGH THE IPR SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IPR DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE IPR SERVICES ARE OR WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE, OR FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. IPR DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE IPR SERVICES OR ENDORSE, RECOMMEND, OR MAKE ANY WARRANTIES AS TO THE CONTENT, INFORMATION, MATERIALS, USER MATERIALS, FEATURES, SERVICES, PRODUCTS, OPINIONS, OR STATEMENTS AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE IPR SERVICES OR THROUGH LINKS ON THE IPR SERVICES. USE OF THE IPR SERVICES IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR LOSS THAT RESULTS FROM YOUR USE OF SUCH DATA OR INFORMATION.
We take reasonable steps to maintain physical, technical and administrative security of your information you provide to us. Although we take these steps to endeavor to safeguard your information, the transmission of information via the internet is inherently risky and is not and cannot be made completely secure and we therefore cannot guarantee the security of your information (including but not limited to your personal information) transmitted to IPR. Any transmission of information (including but not limited to personal information) is at your own risk. we are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the IPR services or any unauthorized intrusions into the ipr services (including but not limited to via hacking, etc.)
IN THE EVENT OF ANY PROBLEM WITH THIS SITE OR ANY OF ITS CONTENT, YOU AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE REMEDY IS TO CEASE USING THIS SITE.
OUR SERVICES ARE PROVIDED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT IPR AND ITS USERS ARE NOT ENGAGED IN RENDERING LEGAL, MEDICAL, COUNSELING OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OR ADVICE. OUR SERVICES ARE NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OR ADVICE.
CERTAIN STATE LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, THEN THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH HEREIN SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO COMPLY WITH SUCH LAWS, AND SOME OR ALL OF THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MIGHT HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
Limitation of Liability:
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, SHALL IPR, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, LICENSEES, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS OR CONTENT PROVIDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT MAY RESULT FROM YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, USE OF OR RELIANCE ON INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON THE SITE, INTERRUPTIONS, ERRORS, DEFECTS, MISTAKES, OMISSIONS, DELETIONS OF FILES, DELAYS IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, NONDELIVERY OF INFORMATION, DISCLOSURE OF COMMUNICATIONS, OR ANY OTHER FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL IPR, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, LICENSEES, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS OR CONTENT PROVIDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY AMOUNT IN EXCESS OF $100.
THE LAWS OF SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW FOR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO COMPLY WITH SUCH LAWS AND SOME OR ALL OF THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU AND YOU MIGHT HAVE OTHER RIGHTS.
Right To Change IPR Services:
In the event a product available on or through the IPR Shop is listed at an incorrect price or with incorrect information, IPR will have the right to refuse or cancel any orders placed for product listed at the incorrect price. Your receipt of an electronic or other form of order confirmation neither signifies IPR’s acceptance of your order, nor constitutes confirmation of IPR’s offer to sell. IPR reserves the right at any time after receipt of your order to accept or decline your order for any reason. IPR may charge and withhold the applicable sales tax for orders.
The IPR Services are controlled and operated within the United States. IPR makes no representation that content, materials or products available on or through the IPR Services are appropriate or available for use outside of the U.S. If you access the IPR Services from a location outside the U.S., you are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, including local laws regarding online conduct and content and U.S. export laws and regulations.
The communications between you and IPR use electronic means, whether you visit the Services or send IPR e-mails, or whether IPR posts notices on the Services or communicates with you via e-mail. For contractual purposes, you (1) consent to receive communications from IPR in an electronic form; and (2) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications and documents that IPR provides to you electronically will have the same legal effect that such communications or documents would have if they were set forth in “writing.” The foregoing sentence does not affect your statutory rights.
You may not use, export, import, or transfer the Services except as authorized by U.S. law, the laws of the jurisdiction in which you obtained the Services, and any other applicable laws. In particular, but without limitation, the Services may not be exported or re-exported (a) into any United States embargoed countries, or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce's Denied Person's List or Entity List. By using the Services, you represent and warrant that (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a "terrorist supporting" country and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties. You also will not use the Services for any purpose prohibited by U.S. law.
In accordance with California Civil Code §1789.3, you may report complaints to the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by contacting them in writing at 400 R Street, Sacramento, CA 95814, or by telephone at (800) 952-5210.
LAST UPDATED AND POSTED 10/26/2018