How To Prepare For When Disaster Strikes
The derecho that hit Iowa on August 10, 2020, was, for many in the path of the storm, the most severe weather event of a lifetime. The homes and trees of thousands of Iowans sustained damage. Power outages were widespread and long-lasting. This was an event most Iowans were not prepared for.
On this episode of Talk of Iowa, host Charity Nebbe and her guests talk about emergency preparedness. They emphasize that Iowans should get a kit, make a plan and be informed. Linda Davis of FEMA Region 7, Emily Holey of The Red Cross, meteorologist Chad Hahn, insurance agent Pat Brown and prepared citizen Eean Crawford join the conversation.
- Chad Hahn, meteorologist, National Weather Service in Des Moines
- Emily Holley, communications manager for the Nebraska Iowa region of the American Red Cross
- Pat Brown, insurance agent, State Farm
- Linda Davis, community preparedness officer for FEMA Region 7
- Eean Crawford, associate professor, and local member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints