There are more than five thousand religious communities across the state. The Comparison Project, based out of Drake University, seeks to bring people into the hundreds of faith groups based in Des Moines through “Meet My Religious Neighbor,” a monthly open house project.
On this episode of River to River, host Ben Kieffer is joined by Tim Knepper, Director of the Comparison Project and Sarah Trone Garriot, Coordinator of Interfaith Engagement at Des Moines Area Religious Council for a look at this project, which has invited people from Des Moines and beyond to visit with members of religious groups including Sikh, Hindu, Orthodox and Muslim faith communities, amongst others.
Connie Wilson, a member of Des Moines’ Baha’I community and Jaaphar Abdul Hamed, Imam of the Muslim Community Organization in Des Moines join in-studio to share their experience hosting open houses as part of “Meet My Religious Neighbor.”
Dr. Caitlin Pedati, State Medical Director and Epidemiologist also joins the program to discuss growing concerns over vaping, which has lead to 43 reports of related lung injuries in Iowa according to the Iowa Department of Public Health. Later, Assistant Professor of Economics at Grinnell College Logan Lee joins Kieffer to discuss a portion of the recent Grinnell College National Poll exploring public opinion on criminal justice reform.
- Tim Knepper, Director of the Comparison Project at Drake University
- Sarah Trone Garriott, Coordinator of Interfaith engagement at Des Moines Area Religious Council
- Connie Wilson, Member of the Des Moines Baha’i community
- Jaaphar Abdul Hamed, Imam of the Muslim Community Organization in Des Moines.
- Logan Lee, Assistant Professor of Economics at Grinnell College
- Dr. Caitlin Pedati, State Medical Director and Epidemiologist