The U.S. Surgeon General says electronic cigarette use among young people is increasing at “epidemic proportions.” In Iowa, 2018 data shows that nine percent of high school students in the state used e-cigarettes. Nationally, there was a 78 percent rise in vaping among high school students from 2017 to 2018.
This episode of River to River focuses on the rising use of e-cigarettes or vaping among Iowa teens.
- Danielle Oswald-Thole, the Iowa Government Relations Director for the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, Inc.
- Daisy Contreras, a reporter for WUIS in Springfield, IL
- Michael Triplett, president of Triplett Enterprises Ltd.
- Dr. Anthony Fischer, a pediatric pulmonologist at University of Iowa Children's Hospital
- Dr. Ted Bonebrake, an addiction specialist at UnityPoint Health in Cedar Falls