White Sofa Records Curates Livestreams To Raise Money For Charity
Cedar Rapids' White Sofa Records is curating a series of livestreams from area artists to raise money for charities No Kid Hungry and the CDC Foundation. The first stream is Thursday, April 16, and streaming dates run through late May. More than a dozen local musicians and artists are featured on the lineup.
“We decided to do this fundraiser because we want to help those who have been impacted by the current pandemic by using the resources we have,” White Sofa founder Tanner Parks said. “Since nobody can go out and do things, we thought, ‘Why not raise money by doing what we’ve always done – showcasing amazing art?’ The only way we can do that right now is through the internet.”
According to Parks, White Sofa Records decided to host what they're referring to as an ongoing festival to benefit the charities No Kid Hungry and the CDC Foundation for many reasons.
“[According to No Kid Hungry,] one in seven children in America is food insecure. With schools closing down and parents losing their jobs, that number is rising. No Kid Hungry gets those children the help they need,” he said.
According to No Kid Hungry, one in seven children in America is food insecure. With schools closing down and parents losing their jobs, that number is rising.
The artists participating in this festival will be streaming from their personal accounts, and those looking to make a donation have the option between giving directly to No Kid Hungry or the CDC Foundation.
Neither White Sofa nor the artists featured in this digital festival of sorts will profit from the fundraiser. White Sofa is also donating 25 percent of their online merch sales to the fundraiser.
- April 16: In The Attic (Cedar Rapids alt-rock), 7 p.m. Streaming here.
- April 17: Avery Mossman (Iowa City indie), 8 p.m. Streaming here.
- April 18: ACV Ceramics (Iowan ceramicist), TBA. Streaming here.
- April 19: The Evan Stock Band (Cedar Rapids blues rock), 5 p.m. Streaming here.
- April 23: Grant Blades (Cedar Rapids indie), 5:30 p.m. Streaming here.
- April 24: Drunk Upon A Time (Cedar Rapids podcast), TBA. Streaming here.
- April 25: Soultru (Quad Cities hip-hop/soul), 7 p.m. Streaming here.
- April 26: Katy Kelly (Iowa City post-punk), 7 p.m. Streaming here.
- May 1: Andrew Bailie (Omaha indie rock), 7 p.m. Streaming here.
- May 2: Waystoke (Cedar Rapids folk pop), 8 p.m. Streaming here.
- May 7: Ariias (Des Moines dreampop), 7 p.m. Streaming here.
- May 8: Lazy Twitch (Cedar Rapids indie folk), TBA. Streaming TBA.
- May 22: The Fey (Lincoln R&B), 8:30 p.m. Streaming here.
How to get involved
“The beauty of this festival is that it could go on forever, if we really wanted it to,” Parks said. “There is no solid end date. We are encouraging any artist who wants to do a live stream for the fundraiser to contact us!”
To join White Sofa Records’ COVID-19 fundraising festival lineup, contact Tanner Parks via email here.