About Studio One
Studio One is Iowa Public Radio's non-commercial, indie, alternative and americana music service. We are Iowa's NPR Music affiliate, and we:
- take over Iowa Public Radio's airwaves at 7 p.m. each night and on the weekends to spin music by local, regional and national artists
- program a 24-hour online radio station that streams on our website and on the Iowa Public Radio app
- host a YouTube channel featuring the music of Iowa artists that we record in our studios and around the state
- host an Iowa live music calendar
- host a record store directory
- distribute a twice-monthly email newsletter with show recommendations and the latest music news and features from Iowa
- present a live music series, All Access Live!, that we record before a live audience in collaboration with indie-venues in Iowa including xBk in Des Moines and Octopus in Cedar Falls
Studio One All Access, Studio One Tracks, Backtracks, Blue Avenue, Beatles Medley and The Folk Tree are our shows that are carefully curated by our hosts and producers. They air on the weekends and evenings on all Iowa Public Radio News/Studio One stations across the state and make up our web streaming service. You can find our program schedules here.
"Alexa, play Iowa Public Radio Studio One"
"OK Google, play Iowa Public Radio Studio One from TuneIn"
How to send us your music
If you're an artist or representative of an artist who wants to get in touch, we'd love to meet you and take a listen to what you've got to share! For us to be able to review and play your music on the radio, we need to be able to add it to our library. We cannot download or add music from Spotify, Vimeo or YouTube.
Please send us one of the following:
- a physical CD
- a vinyl album with a download code
- a direct link to the uncompressed .WAV files of your music through Google Drive, WeTransfer or Dropbox
- direct links to your music on Bandcamp with a download code
Mail vinyl and physical CDs to:
C/O Iowa Public Radio
322 Communication Arts Center
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0359
Email download links to our Studio One staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. This email address hits the inboxes of everyone on our music team!
Please let us know if there's any non-FCC friendly language in any of the songs you are sending us. We listen through everything we get, but if you can flag your own lyrics, that is hugely helpful. If you have clean edits, please send those. We are required by federal law and the FCC to keep the following words from airing on the radio: "shit", "piss", "fuck", "cunt", "cocksucker", "motherfucker", and "tits." Most radio broadcasters also avoid usage of the word "goddamn," as well even though it is not technically forbidden.
If we let these words air on the radio, we are liable for potentially a $500,000 fine.
Where to send a press release
Do you have a press release about an upcoming show, concert or event you want us to know about? Are you an agent of an artist playing a show in Iowa and are interested in offering time for an interview in preview of the concert? Want to invite someone from our team to review your DIY performance or concert? E-mail us at email@example.com.
How to apply to be Iowa Artist of the Month
Each month, we pick an artist with Iowa ties, either living in the state currently or from the state originally, to feature as "Iowa Artist of the Month." If we choose to feature your career and music, you'll receive:
- an interview to air statewide on Iowa Public Radio's Studio One All Access
- a feature in our YouTube series that we'll distribute to our email subscriber list of ~30,000 people
- Frequent spins on Studio One Tracks and All Access shows for the duration of the month
- a set recorded (audio/video) in our studio that we'll give you the recording of to use however you please (pending COVID-19 community transmission levels)
How do you get featured as an Iowa Artist of the Month? Apply here.
Concerts and events
We host a live music series from xBk in Des Moines and Octopus in Cedar Falls called All Access Live! We record the series for broadcast before a live audience, and we'd love to see you at an upcoming show!
Where do you find tickets to an IPR recommended show or to a taping of All Access Live!? Check our Iowa live music calendar.
If you have a question about an upcoming IPR event, you can also e-mail our events staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sweepstakes and ticket giveaways
Studio One hosts sweepstakes for concert tickets, merch and music that anybody can enter by subscribing to our email newsletter and by following our Instagram account. For more information about past and present sweepstakes, click here.
If you have merch, music, tickets or promotional materials you'd like to donate for a sweepstakes, please contact Lindsey Moon at email@example.com.
Request a song or find the title of something you heard on-air
Do you want to send one of our music hosts a request, question, or comment? E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking for a piece of music you heard during a show on Studio One? Take a look at Studio One's playlists.