Flyover: Down the Mississippi River
- Hosted by Kerri Miller
Host Kerri Miller returns with a special edition of Flyover from MPR News. For one week – from July 16-20 at 12 p.m. – join us for a dynamic, live discussion about life along the Mississippi River, and how it influences the economy, culture and environment of the cities along its path.
Flyover: Down the Mississippi River gives listeners who live and work along the river an opportunity to share their unique stories and the ways they're intimately bound to cities both upstream and down.
Each of the five midday call-in shows will shine a spotlight on the Mississippi:
- Monday, July 16: Kerri starts the conversation in the same state the river begins: Minnesota. She discusses the river's history and culture and how it has shaped our Midwestern identity.
- Tuesday, July 17: Focus on the future: Who gets to decide how the river is managed?
- Wednesday, July 18: Live broadcast from Iowa Public Radio, with a discussion about the importance of agriculture in the Mississippi watershed and how land use and runoff affect the river's environment.
- Thursday, July 19: Down the river to New Orleans. Broadcasting live from WWNO, we'll hear how this city and other municipalities across the country are grappling with climate change while working to improve equity and opportunity along the river.
- Friday, July 20: Live-to-tape townhall from deep in Louisiana's Mississippi River delta, where we ask what residents at the end of the river want people upstream to hear.
Flyover: Down the Mississippi River is a special collaboration between Flyover from MPR News and APM's The Water Main.
Flyover from MPR News is an occasional live, national call-in show focused on issues of American identity and the changing American dream as they are lived and experienced in the cities, towns, and rural areas that lie beyond the media spotlights in New York, D.C., and L.A. These are candid conversations full of life experiences and viewpoints from people across the aisle and between the coasts. Flyover from MPR News provides a platform to be heard, to help us all broaden our understanding of one another and bridge the divides we face as a nation.
The Water Main is an effort from American Public Media to make sense of the central and complex role that water plays in our lives – from our economy, to our well-being, to our food, and even to our cultural and spiritual identities. The Water Main serves as a hub for reporting, research, personal stories, and community engagement. We aim to bring people together across political, cultural, social and economic divides for meaningful connections around water, with a goal of securing clean, abundant water for all.
Join the conversation and participate in the live broadcasts. Call in at 1-833-596-8371. Share your thoughts on Twitter or Facebook using #flyoverradio. Or tweet @KerriMPR.